Recipes

I love trying new recipes and have learned there are many great resources out there on the web....which is great because that means they are free.

One of the blogs that I follow has featured one of my recipes on it today so you will have to head over to 24/7 MOMS to see which recipe I posted. They were looking for kid friendly recipes which is what made me choose the recipe I did.

I have also learned that another great free resource for recipes is the library. I don't have room for all those cookbooks anymore, so I like to check out cookbooks from the library and then make copies of any recipes I may want to try. The cookbook I currently have from the library is called Beyond Macaroni and Cheese, it has lots of great tips like ways to involve the kid in meal preparation.

Leave me a comment with the title of one of your favorite cookbooks.

And just for fun here is a recipe I made this weekend for company which everyone seemed to really like even the kids. Of course, there aren't too many desserts that the kids don't like.

Strawberries and Cream Dessert Squares
Recipe by Betty Crocker

Crust
1 pouch Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1egg

Filling
1cup white vanilla baking chips (6 oz)
1package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
Topping
4cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/2cup sugar
2tablespoons cornstarch
1/3cup water
10to 12 drops red food color, if desired

1.Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 15x10x1- or 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter and egg until soft dough forms. Press evenly in bottom of pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

2.In small microwavable bowl, microwave baking chips uncovered on High 45 to 60 seconds or until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Stir in melted chips until blended. Spread mixture over crust. Refrigerate while making topping.

3.In small bowl, crush 1 cup of the strawberries. In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in crushed strawberries and 1/3 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in food color. Cool 10 minutes. Gently stir in remaining 3 cups strawberries. Spoon topping over filling. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set; serve within 4 hours. Store covered in refrigerator.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for posting the recipes. I have 4 kids and will be trying that one out . Thanks for the picture too. I like to see what I am cooking so I know what it is suppose to look like. Thanks again, Diana
Unknown said…
That tator tot casserole looks yummy! I have got one REALLY picky eater and one who eats anything. Guess I should get tough with the picky one...byt do 3 years old really eat anyway?
I just got a new cookbook for Christmas and it is called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld- it is cool b/c it teaches you how to hide pureed vegetables and such in normal food. Gotta get it in them somehow right? :)
Anonymous said…
Tator tot casserole...one of my kids favorites! It freezes well. I write the baking instructions on the foil so when I am gone it is easy to fix. I use this as a standard when I am going to be away and Dad has to fix meals. Do you remember my Tator Tot Casserole story when Anna was in preschool?? Oh my! This recipe brings back memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Hello.....is there anybody out there?

From our home to yours....

1 Year Later